Tuesday, October 16, 2007

5 in a Row

That's right, we have now won 5 Big XII Conference games in a row! And to top that off, we have had 2 Big XII Players of the week -- one offensive player and one defensive player. I'll start where I left off last time. After an exciting win over Colorado we hosted Texas Tech & Texas A&M. Both were very short matches as we swept both of them in 3. Against Tech we were 30-23, 31-29, 30-16. Game 3 was AMAZING!! It was great to get done in 3 because that meant more tailgating before the big Nebraska game (I'll get to that in a minute.) The following Monday, Wendy was named Big XII Offensive Player of the week, after a stellar performance at Colorado followed by 13 kills against Tech. Wednesday we hosted A&M and won in 3 as well, 30-23, 30-23, 30-28. Our hitting was amazing that night. Na had 22 kills and Megan had 17 kills. That was a career high for Megan in a three game match and Na had the most kills by a Tiger in a 3 game match since 2000. Saturday we traveled to Waco to play Baylor. It was another sweep in 3! We won 30-27, 30-25, 30-23. These 3 game sweeps are getting nice! Yesterday Tatum was named Big XII Defensive Player of the Week. So needless to say it's been an exciting time at Mizzou Volleyball. The win over Baylor tied us with Iowa State for 5th. The next couple of weeks are tough though. We host Nebraska (#1 in the nation and our conference), Texas (#6 in the nation and #2 in conference), and Kansas State (#16 in the nation and #3 in the conference). Then we go to Kansas & to Nebraska. That's pretty much as tough as a stretch as you can get. I would post volleyball pictures but I don't have any and you can't save them from the internet :(

Now the Nebraska game was soo much fun. Did a little tailgating before the game with Neisha and some of her friends. Then we walked over to the game and sat in the family section in the south end zone. It was the Gold Rush game and as you can see from the pictures there was a TON of gold. I was actually pretty amazed. Lots of times schools try to get themed games and only about half the fans participate, but the amount of participation was AMAZING. I am interested to see what the Blackout Game vs A&M looks like. Total attendance was 70,049, the most ever since they have reconfigured the stadium. That's a lot of people. The students started the wave in the 4th quarter and it lasted forever. Of course the Nebraska band & fans wouldn't participate so they got booed everytime it got to them. The Tigers stomped the Huskers 41-6. It was also the first time that Nebraska did not score a touchdown against Mizzou since 1961. I have posted some pictures below. They do no justice for the atmosphere.

Unfortunately the football team had their first loss of the season this past weekend. We will not discuss this any further, as it is a sore spot and I have already gotten enough grief from Kyle. On a brighter note, it's homecoming this weekend. Homecoming supposedly originated at Mizzou in 1911 when the football coach invited former players and students to "Come Home" to watch the game versus Kansas being played on campus for the first time ever. It will be a tough game for me though because they play my Red Raiders. It should also be a great game to watch. #1 total offense vs #5 total offense and #3 scoring offense vs. # 10 scoring offense (sadly for the Tigers, Tech is the leader in both). Definitely a spectator's dream!! It's on ABC at 2:30. I might get to see part of the game, but am not sure yet. We play our volleyball game after the football game, so hopefully I will get to watch some of it in person (the football stadium is across the street from the Hearnes Center), otherwise I will be glued to the tv. I will be cheering for the Tigers aloud, but the Red Raiders will always have a special spot in my heart, so the way I look at it its a win-win situation this week. My parents, Emily & Kyle are coming to the game so I am excited to see all of them and I get to see my old boss Buzz!

2 Thoughts from Friends:

Anonymous said...

..and I can't wait to get there!

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you got to go to a Tigers game and I'm really sad that you don't get to go to all of the Tech game with your family. That really stinks!!!!
I know you will have fun seeing the fam and please give them all a hug from us.
Love ya and can't wait to see you, it seems like it has been forever.
Love,
Laurie