Monday, July 9, 2007

Colorado

This past weekend my dad, Aunt Wanda, Uncle Jerry & I went to Montrose, Colorado for the Miller family reunion. Now the majority of the people there I had never met, so it was good to meet much of my family. My dad & aunt figured out it had been 37 years since they had last gone to Colorado to visit. Needless to say, tons of things have changed since then. The picture on the left is as we were driving down the road near CaƱon City - the feet in the picture are for my sis.

When we deciced to go my aunt told me that our cousin had said it was 103 degrees in Motrose and that it should be in the mid 90s while we are there. So I packed accordingly, but through in a jacket and jeans just in case~I know Colorado nights could get chilly. Well on our way there I had my doubts about the 90 degree weather. Outside of Salida the temperature was 78 degrees, within 10 minutes it was 68 and about 5 minutes later it was 58 and rainy. As we went over Monarch Pass the temperature was 44 degrees. Needless to say, I had begun to think they all lied to me, although I still had a glimmer of hope~weather.com told me it was supposed to be 90 also. Not only did the rain cause it to be cold, it also created a mudslide between Monarch and Gunnison. The road was completely covered and we had to move onto the other side of the highway just to pass. (Picture below) Thankfully, the rain passed and it did reach the 90s on Friday.

The reunion was a typical reunion. Visiting, eating, looking at old pictures, etc. Nothing too eventful. I was warned to make sure to be a the front of the line when it came eating time because in past gatherings apparently food was at times scarce depending on who was in charge of cooking. Trust me when I say there was plenty of food and drinks for EVERYONE. They had the biggest ice chest I have seen in a while...they just filled a chest deep freeze full of drinks and ice and then also had at least 20 cases of cokes and water on reserve. The picture to the right was everyone in attendance. Just like all families, we have a few strange ones, but all in all they are pretty neat people. I did find out that I have a cousin (well 3rd cousin) who is the same age as me. She is to the right of me in the picture.

On the way home we stopped along the way to take a few pictures. We were going to go across the Royal Gorge Bridge, but when we arrived, like all tourist attractions these days there was an admission fee. We opted not to pay the $23 (which included all rides except the skycoaster) since we were heading home and just took a few pictures from a distance. We also drove across Blue Mesa Lake. It is absolutely beautiful~Saturday morning it was like glass out there~too bad I couldn't go skiing! Hope you enjoy them! Sorry for the glare in some of the pictures...I was taking them from the car while we were driving.



Finally back the greatest place on earth! TEXAS!

2 Thoughts from Friends:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the pictures from the trip and your funny comments. I wish I could have seen the beauty of Colorado with you guys.
Love ya!
Laurie

Paul said...

Nice toes...