Sunday, February 8, 2009

Mixed Martial Arts

Normally I am not a big "fight" person, never really have been. Now I have definitely seen my fair share of wrestling matches. I grew up watching and loving Randy "Macho Man" Savage, Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, etc... When Emily & I would go stay with my Aunt Karan when we were younger, we always rented old wrestling matches on VHS and turned the living room into our own wrestling ring thanks to my cousin Nathan & his friends. I have many memories of those days and it's a wonder no one ever ended up hurt. Then when I was in high school every Sunday night someone got PPV wrestling matches and we would all chip in to help with the cost. These days UFC fighting is huge. I've watch a few matches on TV, but never really gotten into it.

Last night two former Mizzou wrestlers were making their profession debut in Mixed Martial Arts fighting, so Tara and I decided to go. It's something new and different to do so we jumped at the opportunity. I was excited to see two people who I personally knew get to fight. And we ended up getting in FREE--thanks Ben! (It's nice to know people in high places.) The amateur fights were ok. Nothing special, but we enjoyed them. Then the professsionals started. There were 6 professional bouts and Tyron was 4th & Ben 5th. Ben was considered the co-main event. A little background info: Tyron (aka T-Wood) was Mizzou's first ever Big XII Wrestling Champion and a two time All-American in his weight class. Ben is a little more well known. He was a 4 time All-American and 2 time National Champion Wrestler while at Mizzou. This past summer he competed in the Olympics in Beijing. The fights were great. You can really tell a difference in the amateurs and the professionals. All of the fights were fun, but T-Wood's and Ben's were by far my favorite (of course!). They did amazing. T-Wood won in Round 1 by TKO in 1:09. Ben won in Round 1 also by TKO in 1:25. Here are a few pics from their fights. I hope you enjoy!


3 Thoughts from Friends:

emily and kyle said...

Awesome!

Too bad my memories of Nathan and friends aren't so great. I recall them slamming the poor, younger, less-strong girls down and suffocating us with pillows. And in my young mind we were dead. I also recall them locking us in a room...and thinking we were NEVER going to get out. I'm still not sure why we got left with them as babysitters!

Brooke said...

Very true---but we did get to watch Macho Man's wedding, haha. I do remember them locking us in a room and us screaming and crying to get out, which half the time that was Nancy that did that. I also remember getting seperated from Nathan at Walt Disney World, good lord our parents and Aunt Karan were trusting.

Anonymous said...

I've know you all your life and I never knew you liked watching fighting events. It proves you can always learn new things about people . Love Aunt Wanda